HAPPY STAR TREK DAY!
I recently got back after a fulfilling and wonderful trip to Las Vegas whereupon we Trekkies celebrated 60 years of an incredible franchise rooted in an optimistic future looking to the stars. For myself I ventured to the city of Las Vegas, Nevada and celebrated my favorite franchise at the Rio Convention Center spending three days among fellow fans, actors and writers alike. During my three days I had a plethora of enjoyment and dressed in two cosplays per day, including a hand-sewn cosplay I made specifically for this convention. My three days at STLV reaffirmed why I am a Trekkie and why I revere the things that I do. From meeting the most gracious stars to walking the vendors room to getting my dream photo ops that was announced a week before I landed, this convention was something I will forever cherish in my heart. So come aboard and let me stir the course taking you to on a Trek to Vegas...
Standing in the Rio Convention Rotunda
On Stardate August 6, I boarded a plane with my first officer Major Tom Archer (aka NASA's Mascot Rise) and set a course for Las Vegas, Nevada. Now between us, Las Vegas is not my cup of tea. Now if we were in the 1950s and 1960s with towering feather headdresses, showgirls and the Rat Pack, I would sing a different tune. Thankfully I have stayed in the Rio Hotel and Casino a few times (both bad and good) and thankfully my stay, like last year was palatable. I arrived in the evening after a much unfortunate delay which set me back in wanting to register so I would not have to do it in the morning. However a Captain never abandons a mission, and I made due and checked into my room. Thankfully two friends graciously invited me to dinner and we ate at Dim Sum, a restaurant I became very very familiar with last year. After flying all day it was nice to catch up with pals and I was able to settle in my hotel early enough where I could receive a good nights sleep before tommarow.
Mission Day 1 - August 7
After awaking and (as Captain Janeway would say) "Coffee First!" I took about two hours to make myself ready in my first cosplay of the day. Last year while I was eating at Dim Sum, I met Tanya Lemani who played the Argelian dancer "Kara" in Star Trek: The Original Series "The Wolf and the Fold". She had complimented my dress and I told her I bought it in France while attending a ballet intensive. We ended up talking about ballet and her career as a belly dancer as she had been a ballerina when she was young. She was so gracious and kind to me and I never forgot that evening. When I got on the plane back home I decided to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Star Trek the following year I would re-create her costume. I had spent several months on this costume. The dress was a labor of love and I was quite pleased with how it turned out. Upon making myself ready, I walked through the Rio Casino into the convention hall and registered. My first mission of the day was to enter the Vendor's Room and my first priority was to see Tanya Lemani. As I approached her, the sheer joy on her face was sublime as she gazed at my costume. We spent almost an hour conversing and reminiscing on her time on Star Trek and the costume. I purchased two of her books, Passport to Freedom (a memoir of her family, which I highly recommend) and Have Belly Will Travel (the story of her life's work).

With author/actress/dancer/writer Tanya Lemani
As "Kara" the Argelian Dancer (who met a tragic demise)
My favorite photograph of Tanya dancing in "The Wolf and the Fold"
As I made my way across the vendor's room I was stopped by several people asking for photographs and then got a picture inside the Magic: The Gathering sponsored transporter machine where fans could take pictures inside. It was a great prop and I made sure I was photographed in each cosplay I dressed in. The vendor's room always reminds me of the Promenade from Deep Space Nine. Filled with people around the world coming to buy, sell, trade and share memories of their favorite series and characters. It is a testament to Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek who little did he know, would create such a legacy. I saw a few podcast friends from The 7th Rule, Crusher Convo and Transporter Room, respectfully. I also scanned the areas for little knickknacks I may purchase during my tenure. I stopped at the FanSets booth and per usual found a few discoveries which have joined my pin collection. At the convention I brought a Captain's Log for several people to sign along the way instead of having multiple photos and autograph pictures. Two memorable people I saw in addition to Tanya Lemani was actor Todd Stashwick who played Captain Shaw, and showrunner Terry Malalas from Star Trek: Picard season 3. I also saw actress Nana Visitor who signed my Captain's Log with a quote from her character Kira Nerys. She signed: "The best way to survive a knife fight is never to get in one."

With Terry Matalas, genius showrunner and writer extraordinaire
After going back to my room, I had a granola bar and a second coffee and made myself ready for my second cosplay of the day...Captain Kathryn Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager. It is quite incredible I had not cosplayed as her until now, especially as she is my favorite Captain in the franchise. As I teased my hair and snapped my pips on my collar I tried to remember and emulate her stance as much as I could. Making my way back to the Rio Convention Center and rotunda, I attended a Star Trek: First Contact panel hosted by Brannon Braga, Rick Berman, Ron D. Moore, and James Cromwell, the latter of whom played Zephram Cochran. Although it would have been great to meet the latter, the lines were quite long and timing did not work out. However, I was able to meet Brannon Braga, my favorite Star Trek writer and shake his hand. Although we had just a small moment together I thanked him for his impeccable contribution to the franchise and honoring Gene Roddenberry's vision. He remarked how my Starfleet uniform was "Starfleet regulation" which to me, was a huge compliment as I always try to wear my cosplays accurately as possible. I gave him a note pouring my respect to him and the episodes he wrote. The next table over was the great Rick Berman. Unfortunately he had to leave (most likely to being overwhelmed) and as he passed me I gave him a note I had written as well. I have learned sometimes it is best to just write a note of gratitude to those you look up to instead of taking a great deal of time from other fans. It also centers on what you would like to say instead of forgetting.

Meeting Brannon Braga
The final embarking of my day was to receive the autograph of Robert Beltran who played my beloved Chakotay in Star Trek: Voyager. When I saw him, he remembered me and gave me a hug. I had him sign a collage I made of Chakotay and Seven of Nine and then my Captain's Log. He signed it "To Katie, the real '7'". Can you imagine how I felt reading that? Not long after Robert held his own panel and I was able to ask him a question (here) and he remarked "it's a good question is that Katie?" I replied "yeah it's me" and he said "Hi Katie!". Sometimes I feel for the audience in these scenarios because they probably think who is this girl and how does she know all these people on a first name basis. Anyhow, later during his panel, the subject of Chakotay and Seven of Nine came up (which unfortunately the fandom has always been unkind to my favorite pairing), and he (defying the odds) spoke highly of it. Knowing I was in the audience, he said "To this day, I still don't know what happened to that relationship...maybe Katie knows." Maybe Katie knows??? YES! ME!!!!!! And what did I say? 'THEY'RE STILL MARRIED!" And then he replied "they're still married? P.E.R.F.E.C.T."
"Ma'am is acceptable in a crunch, but I prefer Captain." - Kathryn Janeway
With my Captain
As day one came to a close I finished getting some photographs of myself as Captain Janeway. I was very impressed with many of the areas one could stand and get a photograph. Most of the designated photo areas were sponsored by Magic: The Gathering, including the above Janeway card. Overall I was quite pleased with my uniform. I had gotten a Voyager uniform from Cosermart and after a rapid (and excellent) recut by my alteration lady, the costume was wearable for the convention. Strangely enough I was a bit overheated in the costume but that most likely was due to the turtleneck and being surrounded by hundreds of people all day. With that being said, I decided to retire out of the convention a bit early. That evening, I had dinner at the Chinese Restaurant at the Rio - and ordered my usual fried rice). I retired for the evening, placed my hair in curlers and regenerated.
Mission Day 2 - August 8
For the morning of day two, I cosplayed as Seven of Nine from my favorite character-driven episode "Human Error" from Star Trek: Voyager. The dress I wore had belonged to my mother in the 1990s. It is a beautiful red nylon dress very similar to the sensual and voluptuous, yet ever-so classy dress Seven wore in her must vulnerable episode. Just a few weeks ago when it was announced that Robert Beltran and Jeri Ryan would be coming to STLV, I was in a complete frenzy on what to wear for their duo photo op (a complete dream for me). Do I wear Janeway? Do I wear Enterprise? NO! Thankfully my mother (who I am staying with over the summer) had a plan. I texted a friend of mine if she could get into my apartment out of state if I sent her a key. She agreed and the next day the key arrived. Thanks to Olivia, she sent me my red dress, red tights and red shoes which were preserved in my closet. A cosplay miracle! Additionally, when I was preparing my suitcase, my mother had another idea (she knows me too well) that we should go to a craft store and see if we could find some flowers similar to the Antarian Moon Blossoms that Chakotay gave Seven in that unforgettable episode. Withe one trip to Michaels I found some flowers and glued a bouquet....the costume was finally complete.

Donning my favorite Seven of Nine look
After teasing my hair (of which I was not too happy with that day) I got in line for my duo-picture with Robert Beltran and Jeri Ryan. Last year I had gotten a picture with them but I was so overwhelmed my neck looked stiff and locked. However this time around I felt much more relaxed and well, as you can see I am filled with so much joy in this photo. Never would I think all those years ago when I watched Voyager for the first time that I would stand side by side with the people behind my favorite characters, and in many respects, my favorite fictional couple in media. Not only that, but the fact that Jeri and Robert are the nicest, down-to-earth celebrities I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. After my photo op with both of them I got back in line and had my photo with Jeri. As always, Jeri was gracious and despite a long line took a moment with me...and yes she gave me a hug!
Chakotay, Seven and Me
Jeri wrapping her arms around me made me feel so happy
Following my first two photo sessions I headed into the Leonard Nimoy Theater to attend the Conversation with Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. What an unforgettable memory to see these two showrunners recall the 18 years they carried Star Trek. Something that really stood out to me was their commentary on the current state of Star Trek and much of what has been missing under the current management since 2016. Brannon remarked on how the franchise was at its best when episodes told a story that had a coherent beginning, middle and end. The format of classic Star Trek has been something I have always been fascinated with. The ability to tell an impactful (and yes, sometimes kooky) story that resonates and captures the audience while allowing growth to the characters. Overall, their panel was extremely enlightening and a reconfirmation of what made Star Trek so unique and unlike any other.
Next up was the Star Trek: Voyager panel with Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan and Tim Russ. I was in and out of the panel as I had to get in line for Robert Beltran's photo op. However the small bits I did catch, I heard Kate Mulgrew compliment Jeri Ryan and I also caught a funny moment where someone had made a crass remark about Janeway and the Chakotay/Seven of Nine scenario saying Seven stole Chakotay from Janeway. Personally I thought the question was quite disrespectful to the actors and inappropriate for the 60th anniversary of Star Trek. However Kate Mulgrew brilliantly clapped back and said "She didn't steal him - I simply passed him along." 30 years later I just wish fans could let this subject be and just celebrate the show for what it was and not a relationship that never happened....I digress. After the panel I headed back to my photo line for Robert. I received a few compliments on my dress that day and a bit surprised that some people recognized it. During my photo with Robert, I gave him my homemade Anatrian moon blossoms to hold as Chakotay did in my episode. He just smiled and took me by the side and did so. For one blazing moment, I felt like Seven of Nine.
Robert being Chakotay himself
During this time I was having a shoe malfunction as I miscalculated the size of my red shoes to match Seven's. Sadly because the shoes were too big and from being on my feet the day before I developed blisters. I was in so much discomfort I had to take off my shoes and walk up to my room in my tights. Yes...I was in that much pain. After a 30 minute recoup, I made ready in my Star Trek: Enterprise uniform, featuring Major Tom Archer aka NASA's "Rise".
"Ground Control to Major Tom"
After some photographs I entered the Leonard Nimoy Theater and got in line for Jeri Ryan's autograph during a Star Trek Writers panel. I mistakenly waited too long for Jeri Ryan's autograph. Thinking if I waited I thought I could have a bit more time to talk to her, but actually caused me not to be able to get it personalized because she was sadly being rushed. However in the small time I did have with her she looked at the C/7 collage and decided on signing it in a gold sharpie which to me showed her thoughtfulness. Afterward I hopped in Kate Mulgrew's line and when I got to her she was business-like as always, but I thanked her for her portrayal of Captain Janeway and the relief I had in that she never had Captain Janeway cross a line with her crewmates. Immediately I attended the panel of Star Trek: Enterprise celebrating 25 Years featuring Scott Bakula, Linda Park, Anthony Montgomery, Dominic Keating, Conner Trinnerr, Jeffrey Combs and Vaughn Armstrong. It was so refreshing to see the audience appreciate this series, which I have found to be very highly underrated and not as appreciated as it should be in the Star Trek fandom.
Later that day after waiting a long time, I met actor Scott Bakula. The amount of respect I have for him is great. After signing almost 1000 signatures in the morning, he completed almost another 1000 in the evening. Despite the Vendor's Room closing, Scott stayed until every single fan received his autograph. I truly wish I could have gotten a picture with him. Despite being limited time, he was so courteous with me as I showed him Major Tom 'Archer'. He replied "ground control to Major Tom" and I told him how I was watching Enterprise for the first time in order. He was very kind and inquired "what season" and I told him season 2. He replied "it only gets better". I thanked him for being there and genuinely left with a greater sense of respect and appreciation for not only Enterprise, but Scott Bakula too.
It's been a long road getting from there to here -
The cast of Star Trek: Enterprise reunited on stage...25 Years Later
Mission Day 3 - August 10
For my final day, I slept in as there was only one celebrity and that was the legendary William Shatner. I decided to do a simple hairstyle with bangs and an updo similar to
Marla McGivers in Star Trek: The Original Series "Space Seed". I brought my Tribble, James T. Tribble who had once belonged to my Grandma and set a course for the Leonard Nimoy Theater. Per usual, William Shatner's panel was not only delightful, but a packed house. He told stories of his past and traveling to space, a usual throwback. Shatner also talked about his upcoming heavy metal album (who would think) and reminisced on some stars who had passed. For 95 years old, the man is a living legend. Even though many of the stories he has told I have heard before, it does not matter. To be in the room of William Shatner is something that my children will most likely never experience, but I can say I did. The way he is able to captivate a stage for one whole hour non-stop is a gift and unlike any other celebrity I have seen. We are all quite lucky to be living in the same timeline of such an iconic man. After years of seeing him at various meet and greets and fan events, I finally had the opportunity to ask him a question face-to-face.
Captain Kirk himself, the legend William Shatner
Passport from STLV '26
Inside the Transporter within the Vendor's Room
Following a 45 minute refresh in my room, I got into my Ro Laren cosplay featuring a pros-aid stuck on Bajoran nose, a bob wig and my homemade Bajoran Earring. Following my recent watch through of Star Trek: The Next Generation, I really wanted to cosplay as Ro Laren. Despite appearing in eight episodes, Ro Laren really stood out to me and captivated me with her convictions. Immediately after watching the series I ordered a uniform on Cosermart, and much like the Enterprise costume - I had to get it altered. With a few nips and tucks, and a wig I re-styled this cosplay came together quite easily.
"It's been a long time since I felt like a I really belong somewhere" - Ro Laren
Given there were no more panels that held priority I decided to make the rest of my day the Vendor's Room day. I was able to score several treasures for friends including some beautiful pins and earrings. I even picked up an accurate replica of Captain Janeway's coffee mug and a special Captain Janeway plate from The Hamilton Collection (provided from 7th rule Chat Pack pal, Chuck A - who sells excellent Star Trek merchandise). During my final rounds, I met actress Barbara Luna who played the 'Captain's Woman' in Star Trek: The Original Series "Mirror Mirror". She was very soft spoken and the epitome of Old Hollywood. As I had her sign something for a friend I watched as she slowly and meticulously signed her name in a most beautiful font. I have said in the past and I say here again, her era of class and glamour (much like Tanya Lemani) is slowly fading and our generation of young people need to truly realize how special it is that we can meet these stars and be able to speak with them. They are the last of the golden era.

With the beautiful Barbara Luna
As my final walk around the convention took place I tried to take in each vendor table and each step saying goodbye to such a fulfilling and fun convention. I am so grateful to the people I met along the way and each person who showed kindness and graciousness to me.
Farewell from Star Trek: Las Vegas
Bonus Mission:
In the evening I attended the annual Star Trek Rat Pack Show featuring Nana Visitor, Vaughn Armstrong, Casey Biggs and Jeffrey Combs. Former member Max Grodénchik made a special appearance at the end. Though some of the songs are questionable and a bit salacious for my taste, I always enjoy Nana Visitor singing her signature “Fever” from DS9 “His Way”.
The Star Trek Rat Pack featuring a special appearance by Max Grodénchik
In closing, this convention was truly something very special. I want to take a moment and thank every single stranger I met who photographed me during this very special three-day weekend. Though its fleeting, each smile and every exchange remains encased within in a memory. It was so memorable to be able to celebrate my favorite franchise and complete a full-circle moment in my fandom and shipping world. From meeting Tanya Lemani to my duo picture with Robert Beltran and Jeri Ryan to celebrating 25 Years of Star Trek: Enterprise, it was quite a magical trek amongst the stars. After 60 years, the Star Trek franchise, though not always free of toxicity within its fanbase, remains unlike any other fandom. The ability to talk and meet not only the actors who played the characters, but also the writers and creative minds that made it so unforgettable. Thanks to Creation Entertainment and this years' Star Trek: Las Vegas, fans were given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to listen to Rick Berman who shepherded Star Trek for almost 20 years. The fact us fans were able to see him on stage and meet him is something unfathomamble.

The final haul...
And a final thanks to Creation Entertainment, Ryan T. Husk, Ann Marie Segal and Mohamed Noor for helping make this convention so special. True friends are hard to come by - and even more so, friends who understand you and help make life memorable.
Comments
Post a Comment
Comments are welcome, however all inappropriate and lewd opinions will be deleted. Thank-you.